Saturday, October 11, 2008

Scary Saturday Six

Well we are now well into October, and where I am Fall weather has definitely arrived. With that-it is time to crawl under the covers and bring some scary movies out to watch. OK-not too scary, I admit, I don't like really scary movies that make my stomach in knots and have to leave the room kind of scary. I just like the ones that make me sit on the edge of my seat and hang on for the ride. So here are my movie ideas to get in the mood for Halloween-hope you like them!

1.Something Wicked This Way Comes-I remember seeing it when I was around 8 or 9 and being really scared. And to this day if I watch it I'm still creeped out. It's about a carnival that comes to town and 2 little boys who are affected by it. (all I have to say is carnival and it's already creepy, right?) The scene in the library still makes me nervous.

2.Here's one for the kids,Witches-based on the book by Roald Dahl. The movie has Angelica Huston in it. A little boy comes to a hotel with his grandmother and finds out there is a witches convention going on. My boys liked it and Isabel at 13 years old can't watch even now.
3.For scary funny, and the family- The Addams Family. Only the first one is worth watching, I think Raul Julia was fantastic and Christopher Loyd as Fester was great.

4.Gaslight (1944)-One of the scariest movies out there. I remember my mom and dad telling me this, and didn't believe it till I saw it. I think it being in black and white makes it even scarier. It is about a wife is being driven mad and menaced of being interned in an asylum by her husband.

5.The Sixth Sense-When I saw it I had not been told the secret to the movie. I remember seeing it in the theater with my sister Jenni and both of us clutching to each other the whole movie. I don't know even now if I could sit through it all without clenching my teeth, and I even know what it's about. This is one thing that Trent hates, is that I can't sit through a whole scary movie without leaving the room once or twice, asking him if it's ok to come back.

6. Alfred Hitchcock- I love them all. He is the master of suspense. My favorites and hopefully yours as well are-Rear Window(all I have to say is Jimmy Stewart), The Birds(freaky), The Man Who Knew Too Much(Jimmy again and Doris Day), North by Northwest (love Cary Grant and the mystery), Vertigo(Kim Novak, scary looking), I could go on and on but I won't.

This has made me want to make a movie marathon out of them all(I can't because life can't stop), but I'm definitely going to at least make a couple nights out of it. I just have to pace myself , my stomach can only take so much.
And for a little treat to have while watching- Marshmallow popcorn. So easy and so good. Just melt marshmallows and 3 TBSP of butter like you are making rice krispie treats except pour over popcorn instead. I can't stop myself when I make this.

3 comments:

Noah And Kai said...

OK...Something Wicked This Way Comes is one of the scariest movies ever. I still remember very vividly the exact nightmare I had the night I watched that movie as a kid.
I seriously love scary movies, but I am a total wimp and usually sit with my hands over my eyes asking the people around me to explain what is going on!

Erika said...

I love "The Witches." Cole and I watched "Hocus Pocus" he was scared so i think maybe I will wait on the Hitchcock. I love "North by Northwest." I love Halloween but don't like overtly scary movies, I love suspense. That's why I love M. Night Shamaylan (spelling) though I didn't see his new one. L

Melissa said...

I have not seen a lot of these, it's a good list to go by! I will try to add some in this year (with Brian nearby to shelter me from the scary parts!)