Thursday, October 9, 2008

Crazy Conversations & Control Issues


I preface this post - some of the things I blog about are more for my own memory with the hope that you the reader gets something out of it to. With that being said, having a 3 year old comes with crazy conversations that are not so much laugh out loud funny but make you think "I can't believe these are the conversations I'm having". Usually they put at least a smile on my face sometimes a muffled laugh so as not to make the 3 year old feel like you are laughing at them. For example: I had put Phoebe to bed the other night and she hadn't been in there more than 5 minutes when she comes out and tells me that she can't go to sleep. I say she hasn't tried and that she needs to go back to bed. Phoebe says "sleeping is boring"(how would she know she hasn't tried yet) I tell her we need to go to sleep so that we can grow. I tell her that night time is when her body does its growing. Phoebe says in her rational tone that she doesn't want to grow that she wants to stay little....obviously I've totally confused her all the while I was just trying to get her to bed. The next morning I came back from taking Isabel to school and Phoebe meets me at the door and announces "Look mom, I''m still little, I didn't grow big" For real.


Next: Phoebe has this little green witch doll from McDonald's. She shows me the doll and how it closes its eyes when you lay it back. Anyway she says "Mom, look she has green eyes" I say "yes, she has green eyes just like you" Phoebe in all seriousness says "no, I don't (are you stupid lady) I say "what color of eyes do you have then?" Phoebe says "well, I like chocolate, pink and purple eyes" I wish I lived in her world where if you want something different like eye color then it just isn't so(I could change so many things about myself that way).


Onto control issues. I don't think I've ever had a child who had to be in control so much. Such as everyone has to get out of the car, shut the doors so that Phoebe can open her door and get out by herself. She has to be the first one to open the doors at a store, or else we wait while other people go in so that she can open them again. At the library she likes to scan and check out the books. If I hand her a book, she has to lay it back down, so that she can pick it up again to scan it. She is the only one who can say the dinner prayer or else if someone else does we say a 2nd prayer. I could go on. Have I created this? I can't make this stuff up. Sometimes it's not worth the battle. It does drive me a little crazy but in the end it's not going to last forever and then I will be sad that I don't have a 3 year old anymore who makes me laugh every single day. I love every little crazy inch of her.

5 comments:

karenc said...

oh, I love it! I can't believe that she has grown up so much since we've seen her. She really does have a mind of her own..love to see it....it is always amazing what their little minds can conjure up...give her a big hug...love you all.

Noah And Kai said...

I need a storm trooper costume!! Where did you get it?

Phoebe is so cute. I love that picture of her in the water.

Melissa said...

3 year olds are crazy, as we both know! But it is a fun world they live in, and it is great that we get to peek into it now and then. Isabel's mind and control issues are right in line with Phoebe's.

She is darling. That bottom picture of her is precious, with her head tipped and that little half-smile. She is looking so old (not that you want to hear that!).

Looking forward to seeing you guys tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Loving the head tilt in the last pictures. Phoebe is such a girl!

Manama mama said...

Kids are fun--she's so cute!