Thursday, October 2, 2008

Say It Isn't So!


I was reading today and came across an article about the Amazon Kindle, which is electronic-paper. It is a device which has a high resolution screen that looks and reads like real paper. First off who really wants to read like this? The magic of books is the old fashion kind made with real paper that as you turn the pages you see your progress. And one of my absolute favorite smells is that of a new book. I like picking up and feeling it and flipping through it, giving me a taste of things to come. One of my favorite things of the year is New Years Day with the tradition that I grew up with was having a New Years book wrapped up on your plate at breakfast. I love looking at books sitting on a shelf. Seriously what's there not to love?

Anyways, back to my original thought, Steve Jobs creator of APPLE said speaking of the kindle, "It doesn't matter how good or bad the product is, the fact is that people don't read anymore," he also said "Forty percent of the people in the U.S. read one book or less last year."

I can't believe this, if this statistic is true. What have Americans come to if almost half of the country only manages 1 book or less a year? Truly sad. I can't imagine my life without books, let alone only reading one, which one would I choose? how many would I be missing out on?

So on Shelfari (http://www.shelfari.com/groups/10773/about?ec=7D8A021CFB00S18202) they have put a challenge out called the 50 Book Challenge. The challenge is to read 50 books in one year or establish a goal for yourself. It's up to you, just because they say 50 doesn't mean that has to be your goal.

I'll take that challenge, I've read 39 this year, so I just need to stay on track. Are you up to the challenge?

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Truly sad! No way I'm gonna get 50 this year, maybe next year. But I surely read more than lots of people (except you ;) Sad that many people read only 1 book a year. That's crazy! And I would never want to read a book from a computer, no thanks!