Sunday, September 28, 2008

Sunday Six

Here's just a few random thoughts:

1. I got my bucket filled this weekend.

I went to Estes Park for an overnight getaway with one of my book clubs. We've been together 6 years and thought we finally deserved it. It was beautiful up in the mountains with great fall weather. We did discuss our book for the month, but we also window shopped, walked, ate, laughed till our sides hurt, relaxed and did it all some more. We ended on Saturday night by going together to the Relief Society broadcast where I always hear things that make my heart swell and my testimony grow. Can you believe I've never been away from all my children overnight? I think it needs to happen with Trent next time (we'll see how long that takes to happen) Anyway, it was a fantastic weekend!

2.Boys, balls, and broken windows.


Friday morning was the boys first track off day, and Oliver came upstairs that morning and tried to tell me that when he and Miles went downstairs that the window was broken in the basement. I knew that wasn't the truth and he admitted that he had been throwing a lacrosse ball around (which by the way is one of the hardest balls) and had broken the window. Now mind you, this is the 3rd broken window in the basement! One time was by a neighbor boy but 2 times it has been by Oliver throwing different balls. How many times have I told the kids not to play with balls in the house? ( I guess they haven't seen the Brady Bunch episode where the lamp is broken) I called Trent to tell him about it and he wasn't as upset as I wanted him to be. He said it's just something that happens with boys (Trent said he's broken about 10 in his life) Ok, do I really have to accept this? All you ladies out there please tell me that this isn't just something that goes with the territory of having boys. I don't know how many more broken windows I can handle.

3.Paul Newman died this weekend.
So sad. I know I didn't know him personally and he was old enough to be my father or grandfather but, he had the "it" factor. He had so much charm and he was so handsome. My favorite movie of his was Cool Hand Luke, if you haven't seen it, see it and if you have, like me I might just have to watch it to remember how good he was....

4. What's next on my reading list. Let's see- REVENGE OF THE WITCH(for one book club), WHISTLING IN THE DARK(for the other book club) Hopefully I won't be reading them the days of the discussion like this month. And for my personal reading RACHEL & LEAH, GOSSIP OF THE STARLINGS, THE VIEW FROM GARDEN CITY, THE GUERNSEY LITERARY AND POTATO PEEL PIE SOCIETY, THE SENATOR'S WIFE. I'll let you know what I think of them. I need a cloudy, cool day with nothing to do but snuggle up with a good book (is that really going to happen? I hope)

5. I hope this doesn't sound weird, but have you ever noticed the smell of your children? As I look at the different stages my children are in, it's quite telling about the way they smell (stay with me.)
Phoebe
literally always smells sugary sweet. I was hugging her the other day and her skin smelled so sweet, almost like syrup. Girls really are truly made of sugar and spice.
My boys
smell what I like to call sunshine. It's not a bad smell but like they've been running around letting the sunshine soak in. I know one day it will be gone and I will miss it.
Isabel
smells like a girl on the brink of womanhood, she experiments with different body sprays and girly perfume. She no longer smells like a little girl which is a little bit sad but I'm trying to be ready for her to grow up. When I think of all these it makes me a little bit teary. I just want to bottle the smells up so that when the smells are long gone and the kids have all grown up I can take a sniff and it will transport me back to the days of childhood. Can't they stay little forever?

6.A busy week ahead- Isabel's last track meet, One doctors appt for Miles(we'll see how big he's grown), one dentist appt for Oliver(he's got a big hole in his tooth) One doctor appt for Oliver(finally with the nose doctor to see if we can get him to breathe, please pray for him, it's going to take a miracle I think) one baby shower, one storytime, and lots of trying to keep the boys busy at home so they don't drive me completely nuts.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

What a great post! Obviously, the weekend was fantastic - I keep re-living it! A must repeat someday, for sure. I also love your descriptions of your kids' smells - each was a perfect capturing of their stages. Good luck with your busy week! How was your program practice? Back to reality...

Anonymous said...

I agree my bucket is full from this weekend. Grant has the "sunshine" smell everyday after soon.

karenc said...

I live my life over through you and I love having so many good memories, even my broken windows. I wish I could do it all over again. Love you so much...love the pictures of the kids..wish we were there...Mom