Saturday, September 6, 2008

September Simplicities

I wish this was my yard

Do you feel it in the air yet? Fall is on its way. Maybe some of you remember the book Simple Abundance, it came out about 10 years ago. Anyway it's a day book and at the end of every month the author would give you ideas about how to enjoy that month which she called Joyful Simplicities. So here are some ideas from both the author and myself about how to enjoy your September. So maybe take some of the ideas and enjoy the end of summer and the beginning of fall!

1. Stock up on your own school supplies. Experiment with every type of pen you can find until you discover one that writes wonderfully. Get your own notebooks, markers, tape and scissors. Should the kids get all the fun?

2. Make caramel apples. Roll them in nuts, chocolate chips, toffee bits, drizzled chocolate, and sprinkles.3.Pack away your swimsuit. Bring out your sweaters.

4. Celebrate the autumn equinox with a festive dinner of fall favorites (make a pot of your favorite soup, chili, soup, stew).

5.Start making your Christmas list this month so that you won't be frantic in December(ok this is a good idea, we'll see if it really happens at my house, probably not).

6.Bring home a pot of mums for your front porch.

7. Make or enjoy something with apples. (apple crisp, apple pie, apple tart, apple cider, you get the idea) or even just try a new variety of apple that you haven't tried before.

8.If you have children, this is the time to have them decide on their Halloween costumes. Don't despair. They don't divide the children into two groups at school: those wearing store-bought costumes and those wearing homemade ones!

Halloween 2007


9. Take a walk and breathe in the crisp air.

10.Start feathering your nest for fall, put away the summer stuff and bring out the fall decorations.

11.Buy yourself a new fall scented candle and light it. So even if you don't have fall weather yet the smell will get you in the mood.

Just thinking about these things makes me excited for fall! I hope wherever you are September will be a wonderful month for you.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Great list! You know I triple *heart* fall. I will do most of this list, except start on Christmas. I do that after Thanksgiving.

There are some de-lish fall scented candles at BandBW that I want, and I can't wait to start fall cooking. Been eying some mums, too. Love it all!!!

Noah And Kai said...

I love fall so much. It's been weird being here in California, because the seasons are so subtle. I love the weather mostly, but I am always expecting it to cool off more than it does and for the leaves to change.
I'm crazy about Halloween... I really think it's my favorite. I love getting costumes, but it's been pretty easy up until now because I only have one to get and he always wants to be whatever new Disney character he likes. Disney store makes it easy... Who knows now, though. As he gets older, I'm sure I'm going to have to start getting into bloody faces and axes through the head.