Monday, September 29, 2008

Soup Anyone?

So here is a new favorite soup of my family. I tried it and had no leftovers to speak of. Everyone liked it. Hopefully if you try it, it will become a favorite of yours as well. Who doesn't like a new soup in the fall. I got it from my Southern Living Magazine, and everything I ever try from there is good. I also like it because it's fast, only 15 min of prep. That's my kind of meal. And if any of you think it might be spicy, I don't think it was nor did any of my children. Enjoy!

Creamy Black Bean Soup
makes:16 cups Prep:15 min
cook:30 min

1 medium onion, diced (about 1 cup)
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 (15 oz) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (32 oz.) container chicken broth
2 (4.5 oz.) cans chopped green chiles, undrained
1 (14.5 oz.) can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes, undrained
1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (11 oz) can whole kernel corn, rinsed and drained
2 Tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin

Toppings optional: sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, diced tomatoes, chopped fresh cilantro.

1. Saute onion and garlic in 1 Tbsp. hot oil in a soup pot over medium high heat 6 minutes or until tender. Stir in black beans and next 7 ingredients, stirring to loosen particles from bottom of pot; cover and bring to a boil. Uncover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 15 min.

2.Process 2 cups of soup in blender or food processor 30 seconds or until smooth. Return to pot, and stir until blended. Serve with desired toppings.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I was going to call you for this recipe, I am so glad you posted it! I think I might make it next week for my parents. Sounds fantabulicious! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

mmm sounds good, now I just need to find someone to cook it for me.