Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Labor Day

Castlewood Canyon
I don't exactly understand the purpose of Labor Day. I guess it's a day off from work but then you work hard at playing. It was a great day. We woke up early to go down south about 30 minutes from our house to Castlewood Canyon State Park to go hiking. We decided on a 2.5 mile hike which doesn't sound like much, but it was considered a moderate hike, and we hiked over boulders and places where the path disappeared. The kids were a little bit paranoid about the poison ivy that was all over by the trail. It didn't help that I told them of an instance when I was 15 and mistakenly got poison ivy from my knees to my ankles(it was awful!) The kids were great troopers though !
The kids crossing a bridge over a gulch
I was amazed at how well they did. Even Phoebe didn't give up until we were about an 1/8 of a mile from the end.
Phoebe & Trent (notice how happy Trent looks carrying Phoebe).
It was a beautiful day and it was great to spend time together just as a family. We had a picnic after the hike where suddenly I was bitten by a ton of mosquitoes. We made it home by the afternoon where we rested just long enough to re energize to have our friends over for a BBQ. It was such a pleasant night no one wanted to go inside and end the night. It was a fantastic day, I know because I did not here one sound at bed time. They all fell into bed and crashed. It was a good way to end the summer season!
The kids enjoying the day

Myself and Trent during our hike.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I LOVE these hiking pictures! Parts of it look pretty rough - your kids did great! The BBQ was fantastic. It really was the perfect evening! Thanks for a great time. :)

Manama mama said...

Hi Harts! What a fun blog--it's nice to see what you guys are up to! The kids especially like seeing their cousins. One of these days we'd like to get a blog going too--that is if we ever get unpacked... You know Ben's not a letter writer, but he got us into Facebook a few weeks ago and updates it pretty often if you're interested. Hope you're having a good new school year! Love, The Thomsons