Sunday, November 30, 2008

1st Step-The Tree

Thanksgiving is over and it's time to move onto Christmas. The first step is decorating the Christmas tree. Our ornaments, we've collected over the years. Each year everyone gets a new ornament, so that when they leave home someday they will have a box of ornaments to take with them. It's a little eclectic, but it's always fun to open the box and the kids love to find "their" ornaments.
We totally let the kids decorate the tree by themselves-we just hand them the ornaments and let them go to town(I know, can you believe I let go of all my control issues?Maybe one day I will have the perfectly decorated tree-but not until the kids leave home-I figure it's their tree to enjoy).
The only thing I did to correct the decorating process is when Phoebe placed a bunch of ornaments on the same branch, which was also the lowest branch. Anyway we turned on the Christmas music, ate cookies, and for a few minutes at least, with no fighting everything was right with the world.
I love to hear the kids conversations, as they talk about all that they love about Christmas. Isabel said that decorating the tree is her favorite thing. There is something so peaceful about sitting around the tree with the lights off and just the twinkling of the lights on the tree. I totally love it!
Now tomorrow I tackle decorating the rest of the house..........(my way).

1 comment:

Noah And Kai said...

You are so good. I need to let go of my control issues. I think I would be a lot more fun to be around. The tree looks great. I'm jealous. I'm too lazy to do anything yet!