Monday, August 11, 2008

How Does My Garden Grow

I'm so excited. Our garden is starting to produce. There is something very satisfying about planting something and watching it grow and in the end be able to pick it and eat it. I have so many memories of the garden that I grew up with. I will never be able to do what my parents were able to do. I have memories of playing pioneers and trying to live off the land and we would go pick things in the garden, or playing like we were very poor and having to farm for food. Our playhouse would be under the big cottonwoods in the backyard. Or another memory is just kind of wandering around the yard sampling the many things growing. My parents grew almost everything imaginable. beans, potatoes, tomatoes, peas, carrots, all kinds of squash, watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew melons, raspberries, strawberries, gooseberries, blackberries, grapes, cherries, plums, apricots, and I'm sure I forgot a few. Every night was something from the garden all summer long and I loved it!

We decided to grow tomatoes and cherry tomatoes which are just now coming in. We picked our first two tonight and what a difference than ones from the grocery store. We also planted zucchini, bell peppers, pumpkins, and jalapenos. My kids especially Phoebe love to go check on the progress of the plants and let me know when something is ready to pick.

All the kids have pitched in and helped with weeding the garden which is a never ending task. Now we are waiting to see if the pumpkins will be ready for Halloween. To tell you the truth I can't wait either.

By the way Miles was not being cooperative with picture today.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I am so jealous of your garden! Your garden growing up truly was divine. We had lots of garden produce growing up too, but the northern MN soil is more constricting. We had your zucchini for dinner last night - yum! Thanks!

I can't totally tell in the pic, but Oliver's eye looks better... yes?

Anonymous said...

I am just learning flowers maybe vegetables will be next...but then I have to learn to eat them...

Elizabeth said...

Yes his eye is all better, thanks for asking. Still wierd though.