Sunday, August 10, 2008

A Birthday Bash

On Friday night we held Oliver's birthday party. His birthday was on July 27 but we were waiting for him to get back to school (which started on the 29th) so he could reconnect with friends. Anyway all he wanted for his birthday party was to have a sleepover. In a moment of weakness I said yes. He invited 7 friends. Mind you they are 9 years old. If you don't know what 9 year old boys are like together, hear let me tell you. He didn't care what else we did for the party so he handed over the planning to me. If any of you know me I'm a much better planner with a theme. I found an Indiana Jones themed party on another blog http://j-a-girl.blogspot.com/ and thought that would be seen as maybe a "cool idea" instead of something he would think of as stupid.

The party started at 5:30 (it sounded like a good idea at the time) with dinner being first. I made hot dog mummies(breadstick wrapped hot dogs), bones(fries) and eyeballs (grapes).

We then played some games. First, they had to dig for snakes, bugs and reptiles with their feet in a pool of bubbles. Next, they had to pop balloons with their feet looking for a bottle of potion(candy juice filled wax bottles) And last they broke up in teams to see who could mummify Trent the best in 4 minutes.


It was going great at this point. We then had cake and presents. Before you judge I just have to say that this is my first attempt at decorating a cake, so please be kind. At least Oliver thought it was cool. Miles that morning while I was decorating it, said to Oliver "Isn't mom the best cook ever? "Oliver's reply was :"she just got the idea of the blog. " Somehow diminishing me actually baking and decorating the cake. But by the party he was pretty happy about it.


While Trent and I were cleaning up the boys went down to the basement to entertain themselves for awhile. I was pleasantly surprised at how well they all played together without any conflict.

Making a long story a little shorter. I was tired I had been up since 5:30 that morning working on this party. I just wanted them to all go to bed. We put a movie in and thought we were getting them settled for the night. This was at 11:00. I thought I could just go to sleep and call it good. I went to sleep, the boys were still up so Trent said that he would wait for them to go to sleep. He woke me up at 1:00(in the morning!!) and said that he had tried several times to get them to go to bed and asked if I would go and try to do something. Reluctantly, I got up and went out there. the boys were not only up but chomping on CANDY! I don't think they ever came down from the sugar high. I off and on went out until about 2:30 when I finally heard silence. I don't know how anyone else got any sleep in the house. And then they were up at 7:00 jumping on the trampoline right outside our bedroom window. We got up, fed them breakfast and sent them on their way at 9:30. I don't know if I will ever recover but Oliver said he had a great time. So I guess it was all worth it. I'm worn out just writing about it and to think Miles' birthday is only 4 weeks away. I can't think about it!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I think your cake turned out great. The food and games were super clever, and in the end, Oliver will just remember a fun party. Hope you have recovered!