Wednesday, December 10, 2008

For Real....

Every night getting Phoebe to stay in her bedroom becomes an ordeal-she thinks something is going on that she is missing out on. Tonight was the kicker. She comes out like every other night (when I've already given her a drink, tucked her in, read stories, sung songs, given hugs and kisses) and tells me that she isn't tired. I tell her that that's okay and that she can just look at books in bed. Phoebe looks at me, with a roll of the eyes-and looks like she wants to say " hey crazy lady", but actually says "but that will make me tired." Is she for real? That is the point of bedtime isn't it? I didn't even know how to respond. I wanted to say "yes, that is why we lay down at night to go to sleep-now go do it." 4 year olds only negotiate and understand when they want to, otherwise it's a losing battle. I just told her to go into bed after a well covered up laugh and she stomped her feet as she marched back to her room to let me know that I hadn't won-she went to her bedroom where I guess she was working on her next scheme to get out of going to sleep............but finally, I guess she laid down and got tired.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Quite the personality, that one. Glad you could stand your ground despite almost breaking out in laughter. Ahhh, little minds.

karenc said...

I love to hear Pheobe being her normal self...she is growing up way tao fast, and Ican't wait to hear what is next...enjoy these times, they are treasures to keep forever...love Mom