Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Decking the Halls

I am finally done with all the decorating for Christmas. There's so many pretty things out in the stores that I pine over and wish for, but this year I decided(okay the decision really was made for me) I needed to decorate with what I had on hand. I had to dig a little into my brain to get a little more creative(not nearly as creative as some out there in blogland). So here is just a peek at what I did(I'm documenting mostly for me, so next year I can remember exactly what I did).
1. STAR-This is the only new thing I did-Very cheap,easy and so fun(just the way I like it). I did this project with my friend Melissa. Each of ours turned out very different but both so cute(if I do say so myself). I just have to find a place to put it, so I can show it off properly.
2.This is my twinkle jar. Just some lights and berry garland wrapped around each other in a jar-tucked away in a lonely corner to light it up.
3.My front door this year-using a metal stocking that I got last year. My version of saying Welcome, come on in.
4.My mantle-using stockings that Trent's mom has made each of us-and our collection of nutcrackers that we've collected over the years. The kids fight over which nutcracker stands watch over their stockings.
5.Remember my bargain lanterns that I filled with Fall things?-they now have been switched to being all Christmasy(I love those lanterns, what can I fill them with next?)
6.My corner window, where I can be reminded daily-the reason for the season.
7.My living room table( Trent recently painted it the happy blue, it looks so much better than the green it used to be).
8.This inspiration came from my trusty Souther Living Magazine-I filled the tray with split peas(bag for 67 cents, who knew that I liked those green peas after all?) put some little red fake berries in, wrapped some red string around the candles and voila-Christmas.
9.I think this might be my favorite-strung some garland I had around the light and hung some ornaments. It makes me happy to look at.
So there you go- Hope you liked the peek-I'm wishing I could peek into each of your windows and see what cute things you've done to bring Christmas to your house. Have you hauled out the holly yet and hung the stockings with care? If not-remember Christmas is only 16 days away!(eek! I'm not ready!)

4 comments:

Jacqui said...

I love the split pea idea! I've got some in my food storage that I just couldn't bring myself to make split pea soup with.

Melissa said...

It all looks fabulous. The stars were so fun to make, and I agree they both turned out fabulous. And I love the tray with the split peas, such a darling idea I still would like to copy.

karenc said...

Dear Liz, it makes me so homesick to see your decorations....you know we have none here...no one does. I did hang Merry christmas on the outside door..and that is it. This time of year really gets to me..but you,ve made me happy just looking at yours..love it, love it...Mom

Chadlee said...

I love it all, especially the ornaments in the lantern. Nice work!