Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas-Is it over already?

Christmas Day


I promise I'm still here, I apologize for not updating more, every night I have good intentions to sit down and blog and every night I fall asleep. I can't believe Christmas is already over. It's come and gone in a blur for me this year. It seems like we were busier this year for some reason. We did have a great Christmas though and my kids described this year as the BEST CHRISTMAS EVER.

I didn't even get cards out this year so I thought, however impersonal I think it is -it's what I can do now-so here goes.
I hope you all had a wonderful holiday and that this finds you and your family happy and healthy. 2008 has had it's ups and downs for us this year, but as I sit here reflecting- I realize how truly blessed our family is. So here's a recap of what our family is up to.

Trent: By mid year we were happy to have Trent back with us(he'd been commuting to Reno since last September 2007) we were glad not to have had to move to Reno. But this past October the economy hit us and Trent was laid off from his job. He's a big help around the house but is antsy(to say the least) to get back to work. We hope this upcoming year will bring some luck and hopefully a job will be found. (I hope you'll keep reading, I promise it all won't be so down sounding) I will say on a positive note- Trent totally disciplined himself with a strict diet and exercise and lost himself 50 lbs!(he looks fantastic! I'm so proud, I just wish it could rub off on me.)

Elizabeth: I thought I was busy when I had toddlers and babies. I find myself this year feeling busier and busier trying to keep up with the kids and their schedules. I finally know what all my sisters have told me about becoming a driver. Let me just say that I love my calendar, it's the only way I can keep it all straight. I'm working part time in retail, trying to help out(I don't know how working moms do it all). Trent is great helping out at home and the kids have been super supportive(what can I say-they're the best). My two book clubs are a welcome relief, and with great and wonderful friends (you know who you are) and a fantastic family I keep my bucket filled.

Isabel: She's 13 now and in her last year of middle school(I'm still trying to come to terms with the thought of her in high school) She's busy with student council, National Junior Honor Society(she has to do 25 hours of volunteer work), and she's taken and loved dance class. She's a busy girl. She has started babysitting and loves the extra money(for the trips to the mall with her friends, a totally teenage girl thing to do) How do I know where Isabel is-I listen for the giggles!

Oliver: This year is the year where I discovered Oliver no longer looks like a little boy. He seems to get taller every time I look at him. One day I'll be looking up to him before I know it. He's 9 and in the 4th grade. He's enjoyed swimming lessons and is dying to play lacrosse in the spring (hopefully we can make that happen) He's always full of energy and wants to be busy all the time. He's discovered a love of reading and zips through books, he loves scouts, friends, nerf guns, and all things adventure.

Miles: My thinker-Behind those beautiful blue eyes of his-is a little boy who is always thinking, worrying, wondering something. He is 7 and in the 2nd grade where he is the class joker and the little girls swoon(I volunteer in his class every week and little girls come up to me and tell me that they love Miles) He still loves all things Marvel (superheroes) I thought he would grow out this phase, but not yet at least. He's enjoyed trying out karate and swimming lessons(he can't wait to stop swimming lessons to go back to karate). Miles has a mouth full of empty spaces(it seems like he loses them left and right). Even with all the gaps his smile still stops me in my tracks.

Phoebe: I don't even know where to begin. Let me just say she keeps me on my toes. She's full of questions and wants answers. She's all girl but can hold her own playing with the boys. She's 4 and thinks she's a big girl. She has an opinion about everything and a facial expression to go with every one of them( I wish I could capture them in pictures). She decided she wanted to wait on dance (maybe later, she said) and wanted to take swimming lessons like the boys(she's a daredevil) With all of her energy, she has a very sweet side-she loves hugs, and giving compliments, every time I come home, she meets me in the garage so excited to see me. I love, love, love it!

Happy Holidays wherever you are and now it's looking forward to 2009!

Christmas Eve pajamas

4 comments:

Jacqui said...

I didn't do Christmas cards this year either, but I liked your idea of putting in on the blog!

Cute family

SnellieFam said...

You have such a beautiful family! I can feel your love for each of them through your writing. You are a great example of hope! We will keep hoping and praying for/with you. Thanks for being a great friend!

Melissa said...

Thanks for the great post. You guys are an amazing family. We love you and are blessed to count you among our closest of friends.

Paula said...

Good to hear from you on the blog. Sorry I have missed you the last couple of times I have called. Hope you got the cookies from the other day, they were a late Christmas present. Talk to you soon.