Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Years Tradition

So this morning was almost as exciting as Christmas, with the kids waking up early and trying to hurry us out of bed- why you ask? Because it's New Years Day and with that comes New Years Books. My parents started this tradition long before I was born. Every New Years morning on your breakfast plate is a book, thoughtfully picked out by your parents, wrapped up like a present. Inside is a message from your parents wishing you a Happy New Year. As a kid the books sat under the tree with the Christmas presents and were the lone ones after Christmas day. I eagerly awaited and felt, stared, willing it to be New Years. I've talked to most of my siblings as we all feel the same way about the New Years Books. It's one tradition that we can't imagine living without. I still have all the books that were given to me for New Years and I happily let my kids enjoy them like I did. The thing about a book is that they never go out of style or grow old. I thank my parents for this wonderful tradition, and for instilling in me my love for books. As a parent, I find it equally exciting to go and look for books trying to match them up to what my kids will hopefully love. They are always so excited to open them up knowing that it will be a book, and not a toy. So on this years breakfast plates we found:

For Isabel-The Tree Shepherd's Daughter by Gillian Summers


For Oliver-Rune Warriors by James Jennewein and Tom S. Parker


For Miles: The Stinky Cheese Man and other Fairly Stupid Tales
by Jon Scieszka and Lane Smith


For Phoebe:Peter Rabbit Lift-the-Flap Words, Colors and Numbers
based on the original by Beatrix Potter


For Trent:Ball Four by Jim Bouton


For Elizabeth: Broken Things to Mend by Jeffrey R. Holland

I hope this will bring many happy days wrapped up with a book. And with it a Very Happy New Year for everyone!

6 comments:

Jacqui said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jacqui said...

Liz, What a WONDERFUL tradition! I'd love to start something like that in my little family. Did you get to pick your own book, or did Trent pick it out for you?

Very cool.

Melissa said...

I have always thought this tradition is purely fantastic. We might just have to steal it for next year. The books all look great, very fitting for everyone. Happy New Year to you! Was fun having Phoebe here for part of the day, the kids all did great and had a super fun time (the big boys, too ;)

Erika said...

I love this tradition! Does Trent pick out your book or do you pick it out and wrap it for yourself?

Elizabeth said...

Hey girls,
since you asked-I give Trent a list of books to choose from that I want and he picks which one and writes in it, and wraps it up. So it's kind of a surprise.

Melanie Arkoudas said...

WHat a great idea! My kids love books and we always get them one for Christmas, but maybe we will have to copy you and save them for New Years Day! Hope you wouldn't mind if we did.