Thursday, January 15, 2009

Doris Does the Job


I felt like yesterdays post was a little bit of a downer(which I truly didn't mean it to be)but if there is anything that will pull me out of a slump-it's watching a Doris Day movie. She puts a smile on my face immediately. My two favorites are That Touch of Mink and The Thrill Of It All. I can put them on and she whisks me off to a better time(I've even got Isabel on board). The two movies are really light breezy comedies that don't expect to change your life but will definitely change your mood. Doris is so perky and happy-it's infectious(wouldn't that be a nice way to be remembered?). It also helps that she always has some dashing men as costars, a young James Garner and Cary Grant at any age are yummy to look at.

Also if I could go back to anytime it would be to the 1950's and early 60's. I love it all-the women who wear dresses even to clean house, and wear evening dresses to go to dinner with their husbands. They carry matching purses, and have a coat to match every dress, they wear gloves and have perfectly done hair do's, with the perfectly chosen lipstick to match. The cars, good manners, it's all divine. I think it was such a happy time, not perfect, but it looked really, really happy. So one afternoon and some popcorn is all I need and after watching Doris, she has the power to put a spring in my step, at least for awhile anyway............I'll save Audrey Hepburn for another day.

3 comments:

Erika said...

I feel the same way about my "bonnet" movies (Emma, Persuasion, Sense and Sensibility). I think it's something in the air making the whole month feel a little "blah." I love the 50's for the same reasons, I'm sure they had their "blah" months too but at least they looked amazing when they were going through it.

PS "Hallelujah" is one of my favorite songs! I love Rufus Wainright's version.

Jacqui said...

I love Doris Day/Rock Hudson movies. They're all the same, but one of my favorites is Pillow Talk. I do like "That touch of mink" though. Who doesn't love Cary Grant?

Have you ever seen "Down with Love"? It's a modern spoof on the old Rock Hudson/Doris Day extravaganzas. I laughed so hard. And as a bonus, Ewan McGregor sings again. I have it if you want to borrow it.

Melissa said...

I need to say again how totally divinely cute your new blog look is. Fabulous, really. You know how I love owls.

Have I told you before that you remind me of a 1950s housewife? In a good way, and I could totally see you in that time period. Me, not so much.

See you tomorrow. Hope you're OK.