Saturday, January 24, 2009

Magic of Ordinary Days

I really haven't been trying to ignore blogging but yet again the computer has been down again( the computer really is a love-hate thing). I've had a couple of days off this week and what I realized is I love the magic of the ordinary. I loved while the days were warm-to take the kids to the park and watch them run around in the sun. I love being home when Isabel walks in the door in the afternoon to tell me about her day. I love sitting on the couch and have Phoebe come snuggle right up to my side to lay her head in my lap while we watch TV. I love being there to watch Oliver receive his Bear in Cub Scouts. I love making dinner and being there to sit through all the craziness of kids talking over each other during dinner. I love getting up and having nothing to do but clean my house. I used to think I just liked the effects of a clean house but I actually really do like mopping my floors, vacuming, dusting, making beds. I do it mostly for myself but I also love doing it for my family. I like to be there at bedtime when I can go in and have a few minutes with each child and have hugs and kisses. I like all the little moments that make a day. I used to complain that I never had anything exciting going on and that all I did was stay home. I've decided that when I'm the happiest is when I'm doing the "ordinary" things. In D& C 64:33 it reads "Wherefore, be not weary in well-doing, for ye are laying the foundation for a great work. and out of small things proceedeth that which is great". That is my biggest hope..........

Phoebe At The Park
Miles Lovin' The Warmth In January
Oliver Shooting Around With His Friend
Isabel After A Long Day At School
Oliver Getting His Bear

Just a thought of gratitude this day- I've had my family (my siblings and parents) on my mind a lot this week. I'm so grateful for each one of them and I count my lucky stars to be part of such a wonderful family circle. Every single one of them holds a big piece of my heart-I love them all.

7 comments:

Erika said...

Thanks for the post... now I need a tissue.

Jacqui said...

Your comment at book club about "seasons of life" and this post have really gotten me thinking about my attitude (good or bad) towards the things I do everyday. You are a very insightful, thoughtful person, Elizabeth, and I'm glad to call you my friend.

Robbie and Barb's Family said...

Your kids are getting so big! They are adorable!

Melissa said...

Great post. Your words - and our conversation today about happiness - really ring true. You are always such a good example. Your kids are growing way way way too fast. Hello? Where in the world is the time going? Here's to many more positively ordinary days.

Melanie Arkoudas said...

Thanks for the lift today! your post is exactly what I have been thinking lately. My New's Years Resolution is to quit saying "I am so busy." I choose what I do, and I love all of it! and it is the ordinary everyday things that "lay the foundation" Thanks for the reminder! Loved it!

Noah And Kai said...

It really is so true! I love all the excitement that the extraordinary can bring, but nothing is better than the ordinary days where things just get done (or not), and I can enjoy my family and where I am.

By the way, now that my blog is private, it won't update automatically on your blog list. I just found that out myself!

Chadlee said...

Thanks for the gratitude reminder, I need it! Your kids are so adorable.