Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The state of my life........

I have been meaning to blog for a couple of weeks now-trying to write something positive when I feel like I'm in a slump is hard. But as I read other blogs I find I'm not alone in feeling like January brings a little bit of the blahs. Don't get me wrong, I totally love winter time. Christmas is gone and so is some magic, the decorations are down and my house suddenly looks a little tired and needs some awakening(I just don't know what), and for the most part nothing exciting is going on or nothing to look forward to. I feel like all I do is clean my house and go to work and come home to more. (Am I whining, I think so, not good, I'll stop now) Anyway so let's see what of anything is going on enough that I want to remember:



1. The boys are off track(they have year round school and have 5 weeks off) and usually I've complained about going crazy and can't wait for them to go back. This time I'm actually loving having them home. I don't mind the happy screaming the running around, the constant nerf gun wars, the hide and seek, the adventures they dream up, It actually makes me happy.




2.Isabel is back in school and I miss her (she's the only one gone all day). She's in the middle of finals(I never had finals in Jr. High-what's with that?), she's hard at work studying, with a little stress mixed in.



3. Phoebe is in her own world as always, happily going about-loving the snow, eating it, making snow angels and having snowball fights with me (she just giggles every time she throws one at me). All the other kids have been having a 24 hour stomach bug go round but Phoebe informed me she has a "magic" tummy (Whatever, I just go with it).




4. I just finished reading An American Wife by Curtis Sittenfeld, which is loosely inspired by Laura Bush. I need to do some investigating and find out how much is true. I actually really, really, liked it. I'm onto reading Sing Them Home by Stephanie Kallos-(I loved her last book-Broken For You).




5.I'm making and trying to keep my resolutions-(trying to be more grateful, seeing all that I am blessed with, reading my scriptures, saying my daily prayers) It all takes effort, which hopefully will make me a more focused and disciplined person-So far so good but it is only Janurary 14 after all. Exercise is always in my mind I'm just waiting for the weather to get a little warmer (did that sound like an excuse? I think so-I told you I'm not very disciplined).




I think a better way of thinking about January is found in the book Simple Abundance which says "January, the month of new beginnings and cherished memories, beckons. Come, let winter weave her wondrous spell: cold, crisp, woolen-muffler days, long dark evenings of savory suppers, lively conversations, or solitary joys. Outside the temperature drops as the snow falls softly. All of nature is at peace. We should be, too. Draw hearthside. This is the month to dream, to look forward to the year ahead and journey within." Doesn't that sound cozy-love it!

3 comments:

Jacqui said...

Those look like good books. I admit it. I judge books by their covers.

There is something about January, isn't there. I think I just need more endorphins and that'd help me.

Would you like to go walking together?

Melissa said...

I love the cover of Kallos' new book, let me know how you like it. January is an interesting month, I hope you can make some time for yourself now and then among your busy life. You are such a good example of diligence.

Noah And Kai said...

I always hate January. It really is a let down after the holidays, and winter isn't my favorite. At least I have good weather now.

And, I know how you feel about having kids home. I really wasn't looking forward to Addison going back to school. I like having him around!