Friday, January 30, 2009

Friday Five

So I thought I would take a break from all the heavy thinking I've been blogging about and just be totally superficial, shallow and not about anything where thinking was involved. So here we go with my Friday Five-

1. First order of business: My lanterns are lonely and my creativity is low so I need some feedback on what to fill my lanterns with-would a candle be to basic and boring, or would it be classic? Should I aim for something whimsical and funky? Yes, this is something I stay up nights thinking about among other things? I know you all are creative so I'm begging for some help.



Doesn't it look lonely?

2.If I had a Million Dollars-do you ever play this game? Ok after all the obvious things-if money weren't an object and I could just buy without guilt these are some of the things I would be buying. It never hurts to look(that's free).

This would be Phoebe's Easter dress-it's based on a vintage 50's dress from a new catalog in the mail from MINI BODEN. So cute to imagine Phoebe twirling.

These are shorts that my boys would love also from MINI BODEN(I'm telling you,it is all cute stuff).

These are beautiful pillows that would look absolutely lovely in my living room from Ballard Designs. (I tell you catalogs are wickedly fun).



This little gem is from Sundance catalog where everything is dreamy to look at. Wouldn't this be cute for the month of February with all the little kiss marks?



Another beauty from Sundance that would love my finger .


Can you tell I love jewelry?


Okay-thank you for window shopping with me-that was fun.

3.I totally love winter except for winter hands and lips. My hands look like sad, sad hands. My cuticles are peeling and bleeding, my nails rip constantly and my hands are so dry they look like alligator hands(that's what I call dry skin to my kids). And my poor kids lips look like they have stolen my red lipstick because they are so chapped. I should invest in a chapstick company.

4.Some of my favorite shows have started back up again-It doesn't take much to make me happy. I need something to look forward to-The Closer, Life, and Life on Mars.

5.And last, but not least another thing to get you thinking and hopefully your feedback. I was telling some friends how on MSN I had read an article interviewing people about what BOOKS that have INFLUENCED them? A lot of books I've loved, but ones that have really influenced me are: Harriet the Spy(I thought she was the absolute Coolest), Nancy Drew Books(I still want to be her. These books started my love for mysteries), Julie (First book I remember being emotionally connected to and crying over) Anne of Green Gables(I bought these books when I was young to save them for the girls I would hopefully have someday that now sit on my daughters shelves-I remember thinking I couldn't wait for my daughters to read these books-I loved them so much. Who doesn't love the redheaded spitfire of a girl growing up on lovely Prince Edward Island?) Okay, so now that I've shared, now if you feel so inclined what books have inspired you, for whatever reason?

I told you it wasn't going to be deep, but it was nice just to sit for a minute and think about things that really don't matter. Sorry I didn't mean for it to be such a long post. Have a happy weekend.....

3 comments:

Jacqui said...

Ooo! I have lots to comment on: Your lanters are darling. How creative to fill them with different things. What about construction paper "harts" that your kids help you cut out? That would be a fun FHE.

I can make you that dress (well, Phoebe, I suppose). I'm sure it would cost less than $15 in fabric and ribbon as opposed to however much they want to you pay in the catalogue. Let me know.

Have you tried pure 100% lanolin (you know, the stuff for nursing mothers) for your cracked hands and chapped lips? My whole life my hands crack and bleed in the winter (especially here in Colorado) but this year i've been using the lanolin at night before bed and they're not even chapped. In fact, the split I usually have under my thumb in nonexsistant. It's a little expensive, but it'll last a LONG LONG time. I've had the same bottle since 2006. Hmmm maybe I should check for an expiration date;) Oh, and I cut a leaf of aloe each week from my plant to put on my lips at bedtime and they haven't been chapped either.

I have an 3 aloe starts if you (or anyone) wants some.

"Christy" is the book that changed my life in college after my mission and finally going out on my own. "These is my words" would be the book for this "season" of my life.

Phew. That was a lot.

My sister does a friday five each week too. She's usually pretty funny--www.waterfromrocks.blogspot.com

Melissa said...

I too was going to suggest filling them with some type of hearts. I saw some pretty red sparkly ones I think at Pier 1. Or the suggestion about construction paper hearts is cute, and also Archiver's has some yummy V-Day paper right now.

That dress is divine, as is the jewelry. I might need to peruse those magazines tomorrow!

You know my love for East of Eden. It didn't change my life, but it was the first time I really fell in love with a book of that caliber; I was 17. I had always been an avid reader, but East of Eden ignited something in me then.

Fun lunch today, so happy for your good news, see you tomorrow.

Erika said...

The dollar store has great Valentine's decor right now, how about some cute sparkly garland or pretty ribbon just pooled in the lantern?

I love love love Ballards! Favorite catalog ever though I can honestly say I have never ordered anything from it...I just steal the ideas and do them cheaper!

Books that influenced me:
"Wait Till Helen Comes" made me fall in love with reading. "Pride and Prejudice" gold standard in chick lit. "The Complete Works of Edgar Allen Poe" my dad gave it to me when I was 15... I was so flattered that he thought I was smart enough to read Poe and it made me realize that there is so much to devour underneath the simple writing on a page!