Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Use Your Imagination

Our big project the last few months has been redoing our kitchen. I didn't take any pictures of before, which I could kick myself now for doing because it is hard to appreciate how much better it looks now than what it was before.  That's where using your imagination comes in.... Our house was built in 1985 and had the original golden oak cupboard where the finish was starting to come off and they just looked sad.  We had cream formica countertops that absolutely did nothing for the room. The floor is what I HATED the most, every time I cleaned it which was at least twice a day, I would curse it! It was white linoleum that looked dirty all the time even after mopping it. We also had a stainless steel sink that looked like it had better days.  Needless to say it needed some love.  Trent and I did everything except installing the countertops, it's nice to have my own personal handyman. I'm really happy with the results, it's amazing what it has done for the space.

Amazing what a coat of white paint will do for sad cupboards, and adding hardware totally changed the look of the cupboards.

Here are the new countertops-black added so much more warmth than the cream did before


Here's a glance at the new sink-I decided on white porcelain instead of stainless since we don't have anything else stainless in the room. It's a much deeper sink which makes a much bigger difference than I thought it would. I didn't realize I had such a shallow sink before.

And here is my favorite part of all-the floors-so much prettier if I do say than UGLY white linoleum.  Trent did an amazing job. We also added the beadboard and trim for a finishing touch.

This was just a little side project that I did for my birthday with a little help from my friend, Erika. I have been wanting to do a gallery wall in my living room for awhile to fill the big wall above my sofa. I decided on the theme home. The thought that wherever you are is home.  I framed a bunch of maps of all the places Trent and I had lived before adding in a few pictures of family. It turned out just the way I wanted it to and fills the space so much better than the one picture that was there before.

I mostly posted this for my mom to see, since I have been promising forever to send her pictures. I finally decided this is the easiest route to post them.  So anyone else who reads this-thank you for indulging me.

3 comments:

Jacqui said...

It looks lovely! And I love the flooring. What a HUGE project, but I bet it is wonderful to have it done.

Melissa said...

Oh.My.Word!!! This is NOT the same kitchen. It's not. I honesty would not have recognized it! LOVE!!!! Maybe I will see it in person one of these days. And that home collage is fabulous too. Nice work! Thanks for sharing!

Erika said...

This friend must love you very much to help you with that awesome gallery wall. I hope you paid her in a delicious dinner!

Josh did all the work anyway! I love the beadboard next to the floors. It looks so good.